Tanya W's Reviews > The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

1190762
Jan 15, 13

bookshelves: 2013-read, non-fiction, self-improvement
Read in January, 2013

Okay, maybe 4 1/2 stars... really good and I flew right through it! This book is full of interesting and poignant stories and case studies, and the science (in layman's terms)of habit.

I loved the story of Bill Wilson, the founder of Alcoholics Anonymous. I personally appreciate the power of belief (which in my case centers on a higher power... A God who loves me and cares about me and wants to help me, but I still have to do my part). Okay, I'm getting a little off track.

There are so many great stories here... loved the stories of Tony Dungy, Febreze, and the man who manages two Starbucks. Even though I'm not a coffee drinker, I'm impressed with the training program Starbuck's uses... I like their LATTE acronym for dealing with complaining customers: Listen, Acknowledge, Take action, Thank, Explain (seems like a diplomatic and friendly way of dealing with relational difficulty in daily life). Starbuck's also uses role-playing for automaticity... it makes me realize how important that is for me in helping my children anticipate and be prepared for various situations they may face.

I also appreciated the science about giving choice and control for happier employees (and I'm guessing that goes for children and spouses as well). I know I need to not be so "commanding" sometimes. : ) How wonderful to have validation for good principles: the studies show that kindness promotes focus and good work. I want to always remember that and I really want to be a kind person even though I sometimes fall short.

Not only is this book very interesting, it offers practical help for developing new habits , replacing bad habits, understanding motivation, and working with others in a way that is motivating.

I did wish that the book had summaries at the end of the chapters, other than that, it was the near-perfect read for me.

Other notes for me:
Recognize "craving for distraction".
Recognize and understand "negative habit loops" so I can develop better habit loops.
Believe (for me that goes hand in hand with prayer, which I feel has been a key part of significant changes I have made in my life).
Remember the small and simple things... look for "small wins".
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of Habit.