Karen's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Feb 26, 13

bookshelves: 2013
Read from February 24 to 26, 2013

Well that was a fast read. Engaging, smart, sad, funny and not at all like the brand of 'sick lit' books I was traumatized by in my own youth.

My only criticisms of this book would be that the vocabulary used by Gus and Hazel was even more sophisticated (read: pretentious) than that used by my sophisticated (read: pretentious) friends in university, and that some of the secondary characters flitted in and out of the narrative in a very inconsistent way.

I'm an adult and parent reading this book and what I took from it, more than anything, was sadness. I was able to relate to both the teenagers (having been one) and the parents (being one now), but I wonder what another 16 year old reading it gets from it. Death is not romantic, but did the kids that previously wished to be turned into a vampire to spend eternity with the improbable love of their life now think it would be cool to have a terminal illness and do the same?

I hope not.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Millar Really, really loved this book.

Karen I really didn't know anything about it before I started it; that helped.