Monica Edinger's Reviews > When You Reach Me

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Reach Me.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ariel I will have to read this one as I myself grew up on the Upper West Side in the 1970s. It is a vanished world of art movie theaters and little independent bookstores and cheese shops.

Betsy Ariel, I'm going to want to hear your opinion on how accurate you find the setting once you get a chance to read it. It seemed to ring true to me, but that's just a guess.

Monica Edinger I actually (ahem) was a brand new young teacher at the time and location this story takes place and it rings very true to me (from a young adult perspective).

Ariel Excellent! I am looking forward.

Monica Edinger Carter, it is a quandary. I didn't because I figure then those expecting a lot of sci-fi/fantasy may be disappointed. I would call it more realistic with just a tinge of sci-fi. How's that?

Leanne Okay, you've inspired me. The moment I finished this book I wanted to share it with my 6th graders, but I worried it would be a slow read-aloud. You've convinced me that it will be perfect for our next book. I can't wait to introduce it with a clip of $20,000 pyramid!

Patty Your blog post was wonderful. I am so sorry I can't read your students comments.