Rob's Reviews > Crooked Little Vein

Jan 31, 08

bookshelves: 2007
Recommended for: weird-but-not-THAT-weird folk
Read in October, 2007

With one of the best opening passages (well, one of the best opening chapters) I have read in years, Crooked Little Vein thrusts you headlong into its bizarre narrative immediately. Like a warning. "If you can't take the thought of a rat pissing in a cup then GET OUT NOW!!"

A quick-moving, surreal piece of art-imitates-life-fetishizes-art recursivity (yes: I am making up that word right now), Warren Ellis hands over a great dissection of of how culture's little fringes have all bent backward to tickle us all on the nose. Every scene seems to attempt to out-weird the previous one only to have some apparently off-stage voice remind us that nothing is obscure anymore; teh internets bring it all into your lap, no matter how impossible you think that fetish or kink might be.

At its core, Crooked Little Vein is a weird wild goose chase detective story that is at once quite modern and instantly recognizable as drawing on the pulp tradition. That said, our hard-boiled protagonist Mike McGill is more comical than severe -- and though apparently tolerant, you have to wonder if his shit-magnet tendencies have simply helped him build up an immunity.

In any case: this one had me laughing out loud repeatedly and frequently. Secret rat knowledge, indeed.

--- ---
UPDATE: it took me about 24 hours but I think I finally get the complete irony of the "Ben Franklin wrote the second, SECRET, possibly evil Constitution" part of the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crooked Little Vein.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Melody I looked it up on Amazon and read the opening passages - then had to read it again to my husband. We both decided we HAD to read it. Look forward to your review.

message 2: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob @Melody: indeed! this is one that moves quick; I'm about 1/2 done already ... so I don't think you'll have long to wait before my review is posted! ;-)