Rachel Brand's Reviews > Every Boy's Got One

Every Boy's Got One by Meg Cabot

Sep 15, 09

bookshelves: meg-cabot, 2009, chick-lit
Read in September, 2009

I really liked the first two in the series - nothing ground-breaking but they were fun, with great secondary characters and good easy reading. Therefore, when I saw this going cheap in a second-hand shop I thought it would be the same as the first two. Unfortunately, it was a big let down. I should have thought that something was iffy since the book was almost half the size of the previous two.
The two main characters really annoyed me. Jane was shallow, ignorant of the world around her and had the same characteristics as the majority of Meg Cabot's heroines. Cal was rather unique, and actually had interests and cared about something other than TV, but he said a lot of horrible stuff about marriage - and then completely changed his mind when he "fell in love" with Jane! Not only were the two of them annoying and obviously not suited for each other, they apparently "fell in love" because they both have a good sense of humour and found each other attractive. Okay, that's good, but not exactly a solid foundation for a relationship! The way in which the two characters got together was very unbelievable, and I found it hard to imagine that someone who cares about the world as much as Cal claimed to could spend the rest of his life with someone who doesn't care about anything except shoes and ER.
Overall, this book had good potential but the plot was pretty unbelievable and the two central characters were unappealing. The thing that I liked best about this novel was the emails from family members - and that Cal's sister and Jane's ex got together. But that was it, really. I did WANT to like this book but I finished it thinking "Well, that was funny in places, and a nice break from 'Wuthering Heights' but mainly a waste of time!" 4/10

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Boy's Got One.

09/13/2009 "A bit of fluff for when I need a break from 'Wuthering Heights.'"
show 1 hidden update…