Cori's Reviews > The Book of Three

The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander

120900
Mar 28, 2009

bookshelves: fiction, juvenile

This was a fun read. The characters are imperfect, quirky, and entertaining. There's abundant humor despite a serious enemy and conflict. I agree with Kimball's review that it did have several striking similarities to Lord-of-the-Rings, but I didn't find that as annoying as he did. It was published about 10 years after LOTR, and perhaps it was influenced by the trilogy. But I think this story also stands on its own - many of the elements so common in this genre crop up time and time again as different authors make their stab at creating a mystical, magical world.

One thing that did get to me was some of the pronunciations - there's a pronunciation guide at the back but I had a hard time keeping the proper pronunciation in my head. I had to keep looking things up. That could say more about me than about the book... :)

The thing that pushes this to four stars to me is that it's a book I read when I was young and I have fond memories of the story. I'm enjoying reading it again and will continue with the series and the adventures of Taran, Eilonwy, and company.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Three.