Marvin's Reviews > How Starbucks Saved My Life: A Son of Privilege Learns to Live Like Everyone Else

How Starbucks Saved My Life by Michael Gates Gill

Mar 28, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in January, 2009

I am so torn about reviewing this book. There are some things I like about it and some things I didn't. First, it is a uplifting story. A man of privilege entering the down-and-outs take a job at Starbucks and learns the meaning of hard work and caring for others. It is written in a light and casual style that makes it entertaining and goes easy down the gullet like a peppermint mocha frappuccino. But when he writes about his childhood in a rich and educated family (he is the son of New Yorker writer Brenden Gill) and younger days as an advertising executive I have to think. "What's so bad about that?". Spending time as a child with Hemingway and T.S. Elliot is my idea of an education. I enjoyed his journey into learning to appreciate his family and his sincere examination of his past mistakes and I guess this is the route that he had to go. The other thing that bothered me is that I often thought I was reading a P.R. piece for Starbucks. Is any company that perfect? You can take the P.R. Man out of the...well, you get my drift. Regardless, I must say I enjoyed it but this one time I'm going to take my Starbucks coffee with a grain of salt rather than a teaspoon of sugar.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Starbucks Saved My Life.