Dave's Reviews > The Cult of the Presidency: America's Dangerous Devotion to Executive Power

The Cult of the Presidency by Gene Healy

Feb 09, 10

liked it
Read in February, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

The tone of the books maintains a fairly strong skepticism but to avoid becoming to dour Gene Healy always manages a thin veil of optimism that some how wit and wisdom will eventually prevail.

I prodigiously covered the page edge with Post-It flags in a wide range of colors for future reference.

The final chapter ends on a much more critical tone than many Good Reads reviewers give him credit for but for all that Gene Healy isn't nearly as damning as I might like. He sees hope where I cannot, maybe that is a good thing; maybe not.

The Articles of Confederation without a unitary executive was the preferred covenant of governance. The Constitution actually contains little that is worth "reforming". Historical narrative of this era (without a POTUS) was disappointingly absent in Mr. Healy's critique.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cult of the Presidency.

03/27/2009 page 30
8.17% "Despite everything you were taught in your civics curiculum, the presidency has become nothing more than American royalty!"
07/01/2009 page 62
16.89% "The T.R. myth as "a man for the people". 8 prior presidents issued a total 158 executive orders in 36 years. T.R. issued 1006 in 7 years!"
01/14/2010 page 163
44.41% "The fallacy of constitutional delegation & separation of powers: 'Congress' is an abstraction, congressmen are not."
02/01/2010 page 242
65.94% "Gene Healy's naïveté shines through in Chapter 8. Makes a gross mis-application of Hayek's Road to Serfdom."
show 4 hidden updates…