jacky's Reviews > In the Middle: New Understandings about Writing, Reading, and Learning

In the Middle by Nancie Atwell

Dec 09, 08

bookshelves: education, college
Read in January, 2003

There are close to 75 books on my "college" bookshelf. I bought almost all of them. This is one that I wish I had bought because I think it would be far more useful to me now than all those paperback novels and plays. I had to read this as part of my student teaching program. Although some of the ideas were excellent, I didn't see it as being practical then. Now, even though I think that Atwell's school is idealistic and doesn't even mention many of the daily problems I face, I subscribe to her overall approach. Over the last four years, I gradually followed a similar path to what she outlines in her first chapter; I moved from total control, to more choice, to much more choice with me as guide responsible for sharing as much as I can about writing. This is my first year doing this approach, so I'm not all the way there, but revisiting this text has really been an eye opener. What I thought was so impossible before is now reassuring for what I am trying to accomplish.

I wish I had time to reread more of this book, but I only could manage the first chapter so that I could use it for my lit review for my teacher research paper.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Middle.

11/30/2008 "Rereading the writing portions of this book"