Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)'s Reviews > The Case for Christ: A Journalist's Personal Investigation of the Evidence for Jesus

The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel

Jan 01, 13

bookshelves: audiobook, library-checkout, owned-copy, christian-theology, 2012-sky-s-the-limit-club, favorites, yearly-reading-challenge, nonfiction
Recommended for: Anyone who has questions about the faith of Christianity and the person of Jesus Christ
Read from October 30 to December 21, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This review is probably not as well-crafted as I would have hoped, since I am very swamped right now, and unable to do better. However, I wanted to write my thoughts on the book to the best of my ability as soon after I finished the audio version as possible so I wouldn't forget too much. I hope to reread it and analyze it more at a later date.

When I finished this book, I felt that Mr. Strobel tackled the tough questions about Christ that one might ask if they were skeptical about the faith and the person of Jesus Christ. I grew up in a Christian home and I have been a personal confessor of faith in Jesus for well over twenty years. However, it was good to take a hard look at the questions I didn't have the answers for from a scholarly standpoint. And I believe that Jesus wants anyone who chooses to follow him to count the cost and look hard at who he is. He is honest and righteous and doesn't want anyone to be misled about who he is. So I would say that anyone of my bent is encouraged to do the same.

I felt that Mr. Strobel showed his investigative journalism chops in addressing those important aspects of Christ's identity and the reliability of the evidence of his claim as the Son of God who died for the sins of every person who ever lived, and rose again from the grave, and the areas that one might use to discount his message and the affirming power of faith in Jesus Christ as the Messiah. Ultimately, those who choose not to believe will probably continue to not believe (and they have that choice), but those who want to take that step to believe in him and have some factual proof about him and what faith in him offers, they will find enough here to further confirm that faith in Jesus is not blind faith, but a reasonable, eyes open step of faith. What I do not propose here is that this book takes the place of the Holy Bible, but instead, Strobel's investigation shows that the Bible is a reputable historical document and what it says about God and Jesus Christ is historically accurate. And for those who seek further inquiry, one will find a very good bibliographical source of reputable scholars who can offer even more sound information about Jesus Christ, the historicity of his persona, and the proven historical accuracy of the New Testament Gospels and how they relate to the Old Testament. In fact, this was one of strongest elements of the book for me, since it gave me even more books to read as I get the opportunity.

While I have seen plenty of 1 star reviews for this book, I personally feel justified in giving it 5 stars. One might argue that I like it because it justifies what I believe. That's not completely untrue. It does justify what I believe. I'm glad that I walked into this book with my brain prepared to take a hard look at the evidence and that scholarship was rewarded in Strobel's methodical and thorough investigative process. Let me add that I would have believed what I did anyway based on the process of my individual faith walk. Instead, this book just provides more solid evidence to underpin what I already believe.

I am a rational person. Very analytical, and I have never felt that having faith in God requires throwing out the thought processes and rational inquiry. After all, God gave us brains and he expects us to use them. So for me, this book takes a thinking person who values factual evidence and solid inquiry on a logical investigation into the identity of Jesus of Nazareth, who has proven he is the Son of God in so many ways that those who believe in him will not find themselves disappointed with that decision in the long run.

I would recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Case for Christ.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (new) - added it

Jonathan I also liked his The Case for Faith, would recommend that if you haven't read it!

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill Wonderful review, Danielle! And I'd argue that your review was not well-crafted! It is. :)

SheLove2Read Good review Danielle. I agree with you that he's done his homework. I think anytime you are trying to "convince" someone of Christ, it doesn't hurt to have backup like this.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Sherri. Christ stands up to the toughest scrutiny, and I like that this book showed that.

message 7: by Leona (new)

Leona Great review Danielle. I too really enjoyed how Mr. Stroebel presented his case....and how he found his way.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Leona. It was an interesting process.

message 9: by Brylit (new)

Brylit I appreciate your review and hope to enjoy the book as well. Maybe I'll check out the audio version. The new year holds a great deal of promise!
Thanks LD. :) Brylit

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Brylit. It was a good audio read. I think you'd appreciate it.

Happy New Year!

message 11: by Wouter (new)

Wouter Great review. Read it a couple of years ago. I remember that I was a good book. Uplifting. I love your last sentence in your review :)

message 13: by Seeley (new)

Seeley James Lady D, do you think it would reach my 16-yr-old daughter who has questioned/lost her faith (over zealous youth group at church)?

I don't question his existence enough, still it would be healthy to have more information to fortify my faith.