Stella's Reviews > The Wedding Fling

The Wedding Fling by Meg  Maguire

Feb 02, 13

bookshelves: 2013, for-review, romance
Read from January 14 to 15, 2013

I've read The Wedding Fling by total accident, due to the Russian Roulette my Kindle played on me, but I am glad I did because I discovered a new to me author whose writing style I very much enjoyed and will definitely check out Meg Maguire's next books.

The premise is pretty movie-like: Leigh is a B rate actress who doesn't enjoy all the media attention and speculation at all. On her wedding day after she discovers her fiancée has been cheating on her, she flies the scene and goes off alone to the remote honeymoon location she picked, and as fate would have it, the tactless pilot who takes her to the island is a handsome man and something develops between these two (anyone has any Six Days Seven Nights (with Harrison Ford and Anne Heche) déjá vu? lol).

Leigh was a likeable heroine, because besides the sympathy card (hey she just discovered on her wedding day that her soon-to-be-husband is an unfaithful, lying jerk) she was quite normal, not the snob, stuck up celebrity girl.

In the low light leaking from the villa, his smile tightened.

“I guess I want you to be what I expected—a bit more spoiled. Or shallow.” She relaxed.
“Sorry. I don’t see why that annoys you, though. Spoiled and shallow sound far more irritating to me.”
“It’s annoying because I like things in my life to be simple. It makes them complicated when people aren’t what you expect.” Dan’s face sprang immediately to mind.
“It’s annoying because if you weren’t so sweet and charming and weird, I wouldn’t be stuck struggling this hard to not find you attractive.”

What made this not unheard of story enjoyable and memorable was Meg Maguire's great writing. It flew smoothly and was both funny:

“Is this where you live, Captain?” She nodded to the cottage on stilts. “It’s adorable.”
Will glowered, faking insult.
“Sorry. It’s butch. Really butch.”

and heartfelt:

"If I was a more eloquent man, I’d have come up with something worth your time to read. But we both know finesse isn’t my strong suit. So all I can do is say it again—I’m sorry. I’m sorry, and I meant everything I ever said to you, on the beach and in bed and on that dock, the day you left. If I manage to meet someone half as amazing as you in my next thirty-three years, it’ll be more than I deserve. Though for now, I’m still hopelessly, helplessly in love with you. It hurts like a bitch, but I guess that just proves karma’s for real. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do with your life. I hope you keep dancing. “Plain old Leigh” dancing on the sand is just about the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen, so I hope you let her call the shots from now on. She won’t steer you wrong.

Love (the really painful, torturous kind),
Will"

The descriptions of the setting were done beautifully, Meg Maguire's writing was so evocative I could easily picture the orange and purple sunsets and smell the coconut scented tropical breeze.

Verdict: The Wedding Fling is a nice escapist romance, perfect to read during these cold snowy winter months so that you can take, at least virtually, a trip to a Caribbean paradise island and experience (= read about) the perfect sunset and enjoy the beautiful setting. A nice couple with some smexy time spent in paradise, I liked The Wedding Fling and read it in one sitting!

Plot: 9/10
Characters: 8/10
Writing: 8/10
Ending: 8/10
Cover: 7/10 - too generic

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wedding Fling.

01/15/2013

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Penny Watson I liked it, too!

Stella Penny wrote: "I liked it, too!"

Yep, it was especially lovely to read about warm breezes, sandy beaches and summer sunsets when we had a blizzard and 35 cm of snow :-/ lol

Penny Watson I know! I am soooooo ready to go to Barbados right now.

Stella Penny wrote: "I know! I am soooooo ready to go to Barbados right now."

Lol count me in! I don't know what I would give to spend a lazy afternoon lounging in the sun *sighs* ... :-)

message 5: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie Knox Oh, you hadn't read Meg? I love Meg! She's the first romance author I ever glommed on and sent fanmail to -- and the reason I'm on Twitter.

Stella Ruthie wrote: "Oh, you hadn't read Meg? I love Meg! She's the first romance author I ever glommed on and sent fanmail to -- and the reason I'm on Twitter."

Lol really? Nope, this was my introduction to her writing, but I'll definitely read more of her stories. Any recommendations which ones I absolutely must read? :-)

message 7: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie Knox It depends on which bits of her writing you liked best. She always has witty conversation and deep, interesting psychological portraits. Sometimes her books are quite dark compared to this one, and some of her heroines are VERY *difficult*. She also writes amazing erotica as Cara McKenna.

I think I'd recommend you NetGalley her next Blaze, which I think is called Making Him Sweat -- hero is Mercer, it's an MMA story, and it's pretty fabulous. And then tell me if you liked it, and I'll steer you again!

(Oh, and one of the Strangers on a Train story is hers, too. We're quite good friends, ever since the stalking.)

Stella Ruthie wrote: "It depends on which bits of her writing you liked best. She always has witty conversation and deep, interesting psychological portraits. Sometimes her books are quite dark compared to this one, and..."

ROFL yep, enthusiastic fan gushing (=stalking) does a chance of ensuing that (always best to keep us, rabid fans close ;-) lol

And I had NO IDEA Meg Maguire was Cara McKenna, I have read Willing Victim and loved it! And I requested Making Him Sweat even before I read The Wedding Fling, so it's on my TBR pile, thanks for the recommendation Ruthie, will definitely keep you posted! :-D

message 9: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie Knox Awesome. I can rec more Cara McKenna books too, sometime. I know most of her list. She's so talented. More coming from her as Cara McKenna from Penguin/Berkley next year, and several Blaze books in the works.

Stella Ruthie wrote: "Awesome. I can rec more Cara McKenna books too, sometime. I know most of her list. She's so talented. More coming from her as Cara McKenna from Penguin/Berkley next year, and several Blaze books in..."

Yep, I would be definitely interested in more recommendations, be it sexy or sweet, I'm open for it :-D