K.'s Reviews > The Prisoner Of Zenda

The Prisoner Of Zenda by Anthony Hope

Mar 28, 2009

bookshelves: blood-and-morality-tales
Read in March, 2009

This was a really fun and entertaining read off my reactionary shelf. I would suggest an age & up range for your boys (or girls! although I think many girls might be disgusted with the ending...one of those, "okay, I know it ought to be that way, but...") would be about 14 because of a few kisses and the mention in the beginning of an ancient family "indiscretion" that leads to two men looking very much like twins many years later.

The premise resides on the story being in only the very most basic way sort of a "Prince and Pauper" thing, except the switch is sort of on purpose. That's all I can say without ruining it.

The main themes in this great book for boys are loyalty and duty. The hero is always aware of where his loyalties lie (to God, to himself, to his country) and always does his duty, even at great cost to himself. The greatest lesson that could be found within its pages are that doing the right thing doesn't always coincide with doing what you want, and yet you'll be given the courage to do it (what's right, that is:). And things may not work out for you the way you'd love them too, but that doesn't change the fact that you did the right thing.

I gave it a five, not really because it was life-altering, but because it was very well written and I am a sucker for a great first person narrator, which our dear hero was.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prisoner Of Zenda.

Jason Fourteen years because of some kisses? You are a tough one!

message 2: by K. (new) - rated it 5 stars

K. Yep, I am ;) It's not really the kisses as much as the "ancient indiscretion." In our superly over-sexualized society I don't mind trying to keep (trying being the key word) things minimal as long as I can--with my own at least.

I don't mind so much the kids reading a few kissing scenes as much as explaining adultery, it'll come all too soon.