All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Kicking It

Kicking It by Faith Hunter

Dec 13, 2013

bookshelves: reviewed-by-julia
Read in November, 2013

KICKING IT offers intriguing glimpses into nine unique urban fantasy worlds, with sassy heroines and magical missions and enough of an adventure that I want to come back for more. Some of these series were familiar, some completely new to me, but all were entertaining and well put together.

Picking favorites in this anthology is like picking the cutest puppy out of a litter. I loved Chris Marie Green’s “The Girl With No Name”, Rachel Cain’s “Forked Tongues” made me wonder why I hadn’t read about Holly and Andrew before, and while I didn’t recognize Rob Thurman’s Griffin and Zeke, the voice of the narrator and the image of Zeke growling and hissing like a fox cub guarantees that I’ll track them down for more. Seeing a Jane Yellowrock story from the supporting character’s end of things was interesting, and in the case of the “The Devil’s Left Boot”, a fascinating look at the family left behind after a misguided villain dies.

Though some of the plots were stronger than others, each story had a compelling narrative voice that made me want to know more. KICKING IT showcases some of Urban Fantasy’s best, proving that in this genre, even supporting characters can kick butt and take names.

Sexual Content: References to sex.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kicking It.

07/24/2013 marked as: to-read