Kate's Reviews > The Middle Place

The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan

Mar 27, 09

** spoiler alert ** A somewhat alienated friend of mine sent me a youtube video of Kelly Corrigan delivering a reading to a group of women. At the time I thought it was a little cheesy, considering we are not close friends anymore. Especially when her email message title read, "THIS IS US!!" This reading was all about taking care of and supporting each other through thick and thin.
But then another friend of mine talked about reading the book for her book club, so I was intruiged. Now I can see why this must be wildly popular with book clubs. It is easy to read and a tear-jerker. A memoir, this story narrates Kelly's discovery of a lump in her breast and her subsequent chemo/radiation treatment. Along the way, her father is diagnosed with cancer as well and she straddles the bridge of being a child and a caregiver. The father is a delight and his personality permeates the book. It is clear that Kelly Corrigan is her father's daughter. I never really got a good sense of who she is, however. Her writing to me was clunky and self-conscious.
I liked the structure of the book--she interweaves her life story with her present reality, but I was more saddened and moved by the death of her father (Greenie) than I was for her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Middle Place.