Sean's Reviews > The Last Season: A Team in Search of Its Soul

The Last Season by Phil Jackson

M_50x66
Apr 02, 09

Read in March, 2009

The Last Season, is about the Los Angeles Lakers and a team in search of it’s soul. It is in the 2002-2003 year in first-person by the coach Phil Jackson who leads them to a NBA championship in the end. The story includes the conflict of Kobe Bryant's case in court, Shaquille O’ Neill having to share the phrase “star player,” the injury of such greats as Karl Malone, and Gary Payton, and pretty much every thing in between. This book takes you into the eyes of a team, with the potential to do great, and how they do it differently than everyone else.
The book was written in first-rate quality, stating the important things of a year, and the non-important things in a basketball year. Some of its strengths were the vocabulary in the book, with words like inordinately, and analogous. The only weakness was the word choice, since it was a diary, it didn’t really appeal to the senses like some other books do so well. I choose this book because I am a basketball freak, reading as many books about basketball as possible. Phil Jackson, coaching in Chicago and leading them to six championships, he never wrote on his experience with the Bulls, so I wanted to know what he wrote about in his occurrence with the Lakers. This book was a superior book; it told me how some of the NBA players were like outside of the basketball world in the way the media could not reach. Since Phil Jackson was a coach he truly gave the statement “inside basketball” a very high quality meaning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Season.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sean What a great review! It really told me about this book in an amazing way!!

message 2: by Jordan (new)

Jordan This book looks pretty good. I don't like the Lakers, but Phil Jackson is still awesome for coaching the Bulls. Your review was helpful! It looks like a slam dunk of a book!!

message 3: by Charlies (new)

Charlies I also think that this book looks good. The lakers are horrible and the celtics are way better. But i like some of the players on that lakers team so i will probably read it.