Sarah's Reviews > God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything

God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens

Apr 12, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in April, 2009

This was a really difficult book to listen to. It was read by the author, so I expected a certain level of speaking capability since he does lectures and tours. He drove me nuts. He would start off talking in a soft, mumbling manner and then, all of the sudden, crescendo in sound. By the time I reacted in turning down the stereo in order to preserve my ear drums, he would go back to mush mouth. Very frustrating!

The actual content of the book was okay. It wasn’t as persuasive (or maybe convincing is a better word?) as I thought it would be. I’ve heard good reviews for this author from other like minded atheists so I had high expectations. I’m on par with his way of thinking, so the theories he raises are ones that I agree with, but there wasn’t anything new or different from what I had already heard in the past. Perhaps if I were teetering on the edges of faith it would have produced an Aha! moment, but it was more of a reaffirmation of what I already believed for me. Overall, not a bad book but not a great one either. Still, definitely worth reading for anyone who wants to find out more about the non-religious perspective since it provides a lot of history and background info.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God Is Not Great.