Kerry's Reviews > Rachel & Leah

Rachel & Leah by Orson Scott Card

Apr 16, 09

bookshelves: everything, historic-fiction
Read in April, 2009

While I have been enjoying Orson Scott Card's Women of Genesis series, I was really disappointed in Rachel and Leah. I felt like the author added so much filler to flesh out the story that he ran out of room to actually tell the story! The book ended with Rachel and Leah's marriages to Jacob without any discussion of the drama to come. The Author's afterward notes mentions a part 2, The Wives of Isreal but it hasn't even been written yet and doesn't seem to have a timeline for when it will be written according to the author's website which was rather frustrating.

In addition to that, the characters struck me as somewhat spoiled and tended to get huffy and/or hysterical at the least little thing. And the behind the scenes reason why Leah ended up marrying Jacob was just plain silly, (especially since Rachel got over her "terror" rather quickly once the mess was made).

All in all, while I enjoyed Sarah and Rebekah, I really can't recommend Rachel and Leah. Maybe that will change once Wives of Isreal comes out and I can read the whole story but for now... I wouldn't bother.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rachel & Leah.