Bibliophile's Reviews > The Kings in Winter

422087
Oct 12, 09

bookshelves: 2009
Read in October, 2009

The Kings in Winter reminded me of why I've never been a huge fan of the prolific Cecelia Holland's historical fiction, whose work I'd tried a long time ago. I'm sure the setting and research were impeccable and there was definitely a sense that this was the way people really lived in eleventh century Ireland, but I just didn't like anyone in the story enough to care about what happened to them. I did like Aud, the wife of the main character Murtagh, and the scenes of domesticity that I found to be quite charming, but alas, the book was much more about Murtagh and his relationships to the kings of the title (Brian Boru, and the two rival kings of Munster and Leinster.) The scenes set amidst the Vikings who had come to fight against Brian were interesting, but they came at a point that was well over the halfway mark of the book, and I had trouble figuring out who was who and moreover, didn't particularly care.

I'm still interested in reading more by Cecelia Holland, but I'm afraid my earlier judgment may still stand.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kings in Winter.

10/11/2009 page 78

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Hi, if you have the tume please write a review when you are done. Ratings are high but there are no reviews to read here at GR!

message 2: by Rose (new) - added it

Rose you should try reading Great Maria by Holland. It is a great book

Bibliophile Rose wrote: "you should try reading Great Maria by Holland. It is a great book"

I own Great Maria but I haven't read it yet - it's about a period/place that I find utterly fascinating, so I'm already predisposed to like it!