Marty's Reviews > What Happened: Inside the Bush White House and Washington's Culture of Deception

What Happened by Scott McClellan

Apr 01, 09

bookshelves: 2009, memoir
Read in April, 2009

This is the second Bush book that I've read in the last couple of months. Since I am NOT A FAN of the Bushes, why am I spending my precious reading time on them?

I'm ... not sure. I think part of it is that I was so upset about everything relating to government for the past 8 years that I pretty much just blocked everything out. I didn't watch or read the news and just felt apathetic. Now, though, I feel like there is some hope, and that it's not as aggravating to look back on exactly what was going on.

Some thoughts on this one:

1) Before, I sort of viewed Bush as an Evil Moron (perfect description of my feelings from Curtis Sittenfeld's American Wife). Now, I don't see him as stupid, per se - more as an inarticulate, stubborn individual who could have been okay (well, less bad) with advisors that pushed him harder to question things.

2) What I liked about this book was seeing the inside of the White House and how things work. Sort of like watching The West Wing.

3) This book got me thinking of Bush as not so bad, someone with his heart in the right place - but then I remembered all the things he did that I really hate, especially on social issues.

4) I liked Scott. He seemed like a good guy and I enjoyed reading about his experience as press secretary.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happened.