Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)'s Reviews > The Collected Fiction, Vol. 1: The Boats of the "Glen Carrig" and Other Nautical Adventures

The Collected Fiction, Vol. 1 by William Hope Hodgson

I started reading this when I checked it out of the library. Unfortunately I had to return it to the library before I finished it. It was very interesting and unique. Mr. Hodgson had a gift for telling a story and using language very efficiently, yet conveying the horror and the intensity of the plight of the characters. He had a great imagination, which is more than evident in the stories I read in this book. His writing is not dated, but definitely conveys the period in which he wrote. I really wish I could have kept this book as my own to read at leisure as this is not a book you can read in a week. You want to read a little, digest it, read something else, and then come back to read another story. Although the stories are all related, it can be read story by story. I definitely plan to get a copy of this for my own collection someday.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Collected Fiction, Vol. 1.

02/23/2016 marked as: to-read

message 1: by Mohammed (new) - added it

Mohammed Very good review that capture why i like reading WHH.

My first story of his was From the Tideless Sea, told in letter form by a man in ship that is attacked by a sea monster.

I plan to get this collection very soon and overdose in his stories :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Thanks, Mohammed. I'd love to get a copy of this one some day. Glad to find another WHH fan. :)

I'll have to keep my eyes open for From the Tideless Sea.

message 3: by Mohammed (last edited Nov 11, 2009 02:03PM) (new) - added it

Mohammed I'm glad see to another WHH fan too, i was surprised when i saw it on the list of books we have in common.

It was very randomly how i first read WHH,From the Tideless Sea. It was in Terror by Gaslight horror anthology i found browsing randomly the the library shelfs. The sea title made try read it.

It was before i knew William Hope Hodgson was a legendary writer.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I hadn't heard of him either, until he was recommended on a Yahoo group when I said I liked classic horror and weird fiction. I am so glad that I got that recommendation.