46milestogo's Reviews > Wintergirls

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

F 50x66
Mar 26, 2009

did not like it

Laurie Halse Anderson sinks her teeth into writes about eating disorders in this one. She distracts from the too-familiar story and flat characters uses lots of "clever" formatting, including numbers/tiny text/three guesses

This could have been a good book if Anderson had spent less time being "clever" and more time creating solid characters that would have strengthened a story that's been told plenty of times before.

71 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wintergirls.

04/03 marked as: read

message 1: by Annelida (last edited May 08, 2009 06:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Annelida I agree. She could have had less of these things more REAL solid text.

Clay I personally thought it worked. If you notice, there is a point in the novel where she stops crossing out sister and adding step-sister and she just refers to her as her sister. To me this was a cool and effective way to illustrate that Lia is actually warming up to her family, and especially her step-sister.

Diane This is one of the things I LIKED about the book!

Morgan F I really liked that bit of it. It added to the story. I thought it was a good example of "showing not telling".

Valerie I understood the writing style, but I really wasn't a fan of it either. I also see how that style could add something to the story, but I feel like it was too distracting.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 15, 2010 10:52PM) (new)

I agree with you, and you made me laugh. That is all. =]

Amber I also liked that bit in the story and love when authors come up with refreshing ideas. Like Morgan said a good example of "showing not telling"

Aimee I really liked your review becuase I feel the same way about this book,the crossing out got old after the 20th time.

Meggiliz I don't exactly agree with your review of this book, but I do have to say it made me laugh :) I actually liked her way of writing it, and I thought the part with Cassie made the plot different than other anorexia books.
Although it's not up to me to change your thoughts of this book, and you are entitled to your own opinion...

Sammy When she used this style, it made it easier for people who don't have this disease to see her struggle with food and hunger. She crosses out the feelings she gets around food (also with things in her life) and replaces it with the things her disorder tells her to do. I personally loved it. As someone who has struggled with eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia for 4 years now, I enjoyed this book because it showed the good, the bad, and the ugly. You can see how much these things took over her mind, and how it tore her family apart again. While this book was triggering for me to read, it made me feel like maybe people will finally see the struggles for someone with eating disorders, and I think this style only adds more to this book.

message 11: by Angelofthefallen (new)

Angelofthefallen Finally someone agrees with me. She makes her characters one-dimensional and easily forgettable and focuses on the text. She uses too much style over substance.

Shayna I think that all of the formatting she used was great. Lia had a lot of self-doubt and Cassie was always in the back of her mind. That's why that mind of formatting was used....

message 13: by Sara (last edited Apr 26, 2013 09:21PM) (new)

Sara Weather Your review is pretty much what I thought in my head. It is the reason I stopped reading this book.

Jessica I agree. I disliked the characters; although, I don't think that she didn't make them solid, it's just that she made them not likable. I also thought that when you crossed out the words in your review it was clever, yet uncalled for. It came off as if you were making fun of her writing style instead of giving feedback. Of course, you are completely entitled to your opinion.

Melodie I thought the strike-through and numbers were brilliant. Like Clay (above), I noticed the switch from stepsister to sister, etc. This would be an interesting book to critique in a literary criticism class.

message 16: by Elena (last edited Dec 03, 2014 04:36PM) (new)

Elena Allison I liked the crossed out words because I thought it showed us Lia's true thoughts and her division between the real world and "winter girl" world. That was about the only thing I liked about it. I'm a fan of dreary topics and Laurie Halse Anderson, however I thought this one was boring and unclimactic. I felt like the whole story was Lia sulking throughout her daily routine, the same thing everyday only with new ways to say "I didn't eat today" and "I weigh ___ much". I wish it had shown us more of Cassie and Lia's past friendship (more flashbacks please) I really enjoyed the overlapping plots, like Lia's illness, her family drama, and her friendship with Elijah. Seeing more of that would've made it a lot more enjoyable.

message 17: by Kiki (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kiki Smith While the characters were certainly important to the story, it is an idea that could work with someone else. It is not so much about Cassie and her plights but the life of a girl with anorexia and her thought process. Cassie could have easily been Laura the dentist, Mark the football player, Rachel who lives in a cheap apartment, Lucy whose parents buy her whatever she wants. It doesn't focus so much on a fleshed out character because the character could have been anyone. While the situation would have been different, the basic eating disorder would have remained the same: crippling, worrying, and all consuming in life. The story needs to be told over and over because it is still misunderstood. Poeple still judge others with eating disorders extremely harshly and do not consider the fact that they are suffering from a disease that was not a choice.

Molly Holsinger But the thing is people who have eating disorders aren't whole. I think that was one of the more poetic aspects of this book. However, to each his own, I guess.