Brett's Reviews > One Hundred Years of Solitude

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

Aug 09, 09

Read in July, 2009

This is my fourth Garcia Marquez, and his writing style always delights me. Very round about, all about the journey not the destination. It's very fluid. I still wouldn't put myself all the way in the fans of magical realism camp, but GGM keeps getting me closer.

The story is of a family over the course of 100 years (something like 6 or seven generations). They basically give everyone in the family combinations of about 4 names, so you really want an edition with a family tree in it to keep it straight. Plus all the characters are so similar it's like they are just slightly skewed versions of either of the original parents in the family.

GGM can really put you in the setting with incredible sensory language. You can feel and smell the swamps. As far as the plot, it never really climaxes, just flows along like time. And everything that these people do is so fantastic and overstated. Just really bizarre stuff. All around a great read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Hundred Years of Solitude.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann I'm a fan of this one (and of Marquez, and of magical realism). Interested to hear what you think.