Teena in Toronto's Reviews > Woman of Substance

Woman of Substance by Annette Bower

Jan 15, 13

bookshelves: canadian
Read from January 13 to February 04, 2013

Robbie is writing her thesis on what it's like to be fat ... except that Robbie is tall and thin. With the help of the ladies in her research group, she becomes "Robin" and wears a fat suit and clothes to determine how people react to her.

While out as Robin, she meets Frank, a senior, who is sitting on a bench in a park feeding some geese. His grandson, Jake, comes upon them. Jake strikes a deal with Robin to hire her to spend time with Frank, who is dying.

Jake is a professor has returned to Regina to spend time with his grandfather. He gets a job at the same university Robbie goes to and is good friend of Robbie's advisor.

Jake gets to know both Robin and Robbie but unbeknownst to him, they are the same person. He is drawn to each for different reasons ... Robin reminds him of his beloved late grandmother and he is attracted to Robbie. Robbie is attracted to Jake but is concerned he'll feel betrayed if he finds out the truth.

I thought this was an interesting premise and was curious to see how the author would tackle it. This is the first book I've read by this author and I liked the writing style. It was an easy read.

I liked the characters, especially Frank. He missed his late wife, Mabel, and was biding his time until he could be with her again. Jake was raised by his grandparents because his mother died when he was young. As a kid, he was embarrassed by his older uncool "parents" but as an adult felt bad for feeling as he had and was determined to make it up to Frank.

It's a different angle for a romance. If you are looking for something different, you should check it out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Woman of Substance.