Emily's Reviews > These Is My Words

These Is My Words by Nancy E. Turner

Feb 27, 10

bookshelves: adult-fiction
Recommended to Emily by: Amanda, Colleen, Christine, Quenta, Amy, Amie, Ashleigh
Read in February, 2010

I really loved this book. I highly, highly recommend it (though I think I'm the last of anyone to read it...but just in case!)

It's the diary of a woman growing up and raising a family in the Arizona territories-late 1800, early 1900's. It was light on history and much more geared towards a personal recollection of a woman's life. What this woman did was amazing. It had the right mixture of every day living and romance. It was very, very sad in parts but that made it seem even more true to life. I liked the emotions that she had with marrying and raising a family. Even though more than a 100 years have passed, they seem to be universal emotions!

My tiniest little complaint is that the first part of the book was kind of hard for me to get into, and then a few random parts of the story where I was a little bored. I think the diary format might have made it hard for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read These Is My Words.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Amie I hope you like this one...it took me about 65 pages to get into it, but once I saw where it was going, I ate it up. =) I just finished the sequel--it took me forever, but not because I didn't like it; I just had no time. =p

message 2: by Martha (new)

Martha You write great reviews Miss Emily. It makes me want to read this book.

message 3: by Betty (last edited Mar 01, 2010 11:29PM) (new)

Betty Jo Two weeks ago, I attended a book club presentation of this book, given by two people, the reviewer, the one who condensed the book beautifully so we understood what was going on, and another club member who read the actual words of the diary. It took about an hour and we of course didn't hear everything, but it was intriguing and made me want to read the book so that I could fill in the parts that might have been missed. I understand why you "highly recommend" the book. I found it be wonderful.