Corinne's Reviews > Godmother: The Secret Cinderella Story

Godmother by Carolyn Turgeon

F 50x66
Mar 25, 2009

Read in April, 2009

I almost gave up on this story it started so slowly, and then I got to the end of the first chapter.

Told from the perspective of the fairy godmother, this is a poignant story of love, loss, mistakes and redemption. Parallel love stories told in two different time periods, Lil, Cinderella's Fairy Godmother tells the story of that historic night at the same time she describes her life in current times in New York City. It becomes apparent early in the story that Lil has made some mistake the night of the Grand Ball, where Cinderella and the Prince were supposed to meet and fall in love. The parallel love stories with the parallel tragedies of mistakes made kept me turning pages. What was the big mistake, how did it go wrong, and how is Lil attempting to rectify it?

Carolyn Turgeon weaves such an intricate tale; using our preconceived notions of the traditional fairy tale, human nature, and fairy magic. Reading this book was like floating on a slow river, yet only realizing you've been through the rapids until after you've experienced them. I will definitely look for her first novel Rain Village.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Godmother.

04/10/2009 page 121