R.M.'s Reviews > An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration from the Private Sketchbooks of Artists, Illustrators and Designers

An Illustrated Life by Danny Gregory

May 04, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in April, 2009

I bought An Illustrated Life initially thinking I was going to plow right through. To me, it's much better in small doses. With as many varying personalities, ideas and "art," it was a little daunting to continually read for longer than 15 minutes. The more I read at one sitting the more the people in the book would blend into one another. I guess I have a really short attention span. Either that, or can't handle the idea of being jolted from one artist to the next. Once I started to get into an artist, it was over.

The features ranged from anyhwere to somewhat boring to downright amusing. Robert Crumb's was great with his unabashed straight-up honesty (at least I think he was being honest). The nice thing about featuring so many artists is that if you didn't like one you could move right onto the next.

I wish the format was a little larger so the images and text could be easier to view and read. Having said this I still think it's pretty well executed and presents the artists in a very attractive manner. I think it's a great coffee table book to pick up every now and again. It would certainly make a great gift to aspiring artists or to anyone who enjoys art or its process.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Illustrated Life.