The Flooze's Reviews > Bellwether

Bellwether by Connie Willis

Apr 03, 09

bookshelves: lit-fiction, sci-fi, vanquished_2009
Read in April, 2009, read count: 1

Willis' Bellwether is a fluid, witty story, filled with wry and insightful commentary on the American Public.

Sandra studies fads. What triggers them? Why do people follow them? What's the new "it" thing? She hopes to find the initiation point of such phenomena, and in examining each "next big trend," she becomes increasingly disheartened with the Public. Independent thinking is something Sandra cherishes, and when she meets a scientist whose dress and behavior mark him as the antithesis of the fad-follower, she's fascinated. Could she find the answer to the fad conundrum through studying him?

What follows are corporate sensitivity hugs, acronyms like GRIM and SHAM, cringe-worthy ways of dealing with spoiled brats (Esteem Enhancement is my fave), a duct-taped and branded assistant named Flip, and enough bureaucracy to make you feel as if you and Sandra are the only sane beings left on the planet.

To remind us that Connie Willis is best known for her science fiction, there's a healthy smattering of scientific facts and observations, mostly centering on the key roles chaos, luck, and perseverance have played in the emergence of notable scientific breakthroughs. And there's certainly more than enough glorious chaos in Sandra's world for her to manage a breakthrough or two of her own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bellwether.

Quotes The Flooze Liked

Connie Willis
“Why do only the awful things become fads? I thought. Eye-rolling and Barbie and bread pudding. Why never chocolate cheesecake or thinking for yourself?”
Connie Willis, Bellwether

03/31/2009 page 1
0.4% "April is here! Read 19 books last month. We'll see how this month goes!"
04/02/2009 page 41
16.53% "Very funny!"
04/02/2009 page 105
42.34% "Oh my lord, Flip is the most exasperating yet hilarious character."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John It sounded interesting from what you told me in the office. Is it part of a series of books?

The Flooze No no, stand alone. Steve is the one that introduced me to her, with To Say Nothing of the Dog. That one was time-travel. This one is a tech/lab analyst. Makes it sound heavy, yet it's not!