Misfit's Reviews > Angelique in Barbary

Mar 25, 2009

bookshelves: 2012-mt-tbr-challenge
Read from February 23 to 29, 2012 — I own a copy

Review is slightly spoilerish

"Of course, it's important. I know you. Nothing would make you bother the police for a joke. With you, it's always something important-you're about to be murdered, or else commit suicide, or perhaps you've decided to involve the Royal Family in some fiendish scandal, or disobey the Pope."

Hah! This is the third book in a long series, and this review will be rather brief to avoid spoiling events from the prior novels, Angelique (Book 1) and Angélique and the King (Book 2). At the end of book two, Angelique learned that her supposedly dead husband might not be so dead after all, and she's willing to risk everything, including the King's wrath to find him. Despite the heavy police guard placed on her by the express command of Louis XIV, Angélique slips away, and her feminine charms come in quite handy when she needs to wheedle her way onto one of the King's vessels heading for Crete. No surprise, but there's no smooth sailing in Angélique's world and after a battle or two at sea and a shipwreck, she's captured and sold as a slave to the highest bidder - the notorious pirate Rescator. Oh, but the fool escapes and lands herself right into the hands (and harem) of the infamous Sultan of Morocco. Will she survive with her virtue intact, or will that treacherous body of hers betray her once again?

I did enjoy this book, although there were times when events dragged on too long for my tastes - there seemed to be a lot of background being set up for events that will happen in the later books. I did notice that the edition I read is from a different translator than some of the other editions and read a bit dryer than those and for that I'm knocking off half a star. Still, jolly good fun and next up is Angelique in Revolt (Book 4).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelique in Barbary.

02/23/2012 page 19
4.0% "Of course, it's important. I know you. Nothing would make you bother the police for a joke. With you, it's always something important-you're about to be murdered, or else commit suicide, or perhaps you've decided to involved the Royal Family in some fiendish scandal, or disobey the Pope." 4 comments
02/23/2012 page 39
9.0% "Scanned and uploaded my cover so we can see her tatas in full blown color :)" 7 comments
02/25/2012 page 44
10.0% "Well now. Looks like Florimund has been keeping a few secrets from mom."
02/26/2012 page 83
19.0% "Part II Crete begins.

Rubs hands with glee.

02/26/2012 page 96
22.0% "I am thinking I may have guessed the identity of the mysterious pirate Rescator. Let's see if I'm right.

PS, no one seems to stay dead around here. Ever.

" 2 comments
02/26/2012 page 120
27.0% ""You know the law of the Mediterranean: 'The cormorant gets the body, the pirate gets the loot, and the women belong to everyone.'"

"yes, to everyone," the others took up the cry as they moved menacingly towards their leader.

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy.

02/26/2012 page 205
46.0% "Sold at auction to the highest bidder. The mysterious, dangerous, oh so filthy rich...

You didn't think I'd tell, did you?

" 2 comments
02/26/2012 page 245
55.0% "Ali Hadji! The same French-woman who erove d'Escrainville out of his mind and whom ----- (he who shall not be named) bought for the highest price ever paid for a slave, only to lose her because she seet fire to the harbour. Hahahahaha..."
02/26/2012 page 256
58.0% "The woman who drove d'Escrainville, the Terror of the Mediterranean crazy...who made Don Jose de Almada, the most cautious trader I know bit up to twenty-five thousand piastres...who dared scream insults right into Mezzo-Morte's face...that's quite a record. Such a woman as that, Madame, does not cry or have an emotional crisis.

What a woman!

02/27/2012 page 274
62.0% "Nothing like an expected beheading in the Morrocon desert to start my Monday morning off right. That said, I do wish Rescator would hurry up and get his property back and let the fun begin..."
02/27/2012 page 340
77.0% "This was the only time in her life that she was ashamed of being a woman and a beautiful one to boot. She could not help thinking of herself as merely a work of art being inspected by some critical collector pondering its material values only. She felt as is (sic) she had been robbed of her soul." 16 comments
02/28/2012 page 385
87.0% "Since a Moorish woman was supposed to keep silent, all Angelique needed to do was keep her mouth shut.

No problems with that one :D

02/28/2012 page 408
92.0% "The melodrama is getting pretty thick here. I am sooooooo ready for you-know-who to come back into the story and resolve whatever the hell I think I have guessed that he's going to resolve. I could be wrong though..."
02/28/2012 page 424
96.0% "Only Angelique could go through hell and then some and still worry about her damned legs and how others would perceive them :P"

message 1: by Claire (new)

Claire those covers are amazing,and to think I read these when I was a teenager!

Misfit I wonder what kind of covers these would get if they republished them?

message 3: by Jane (new)

Jane Possibly less boob? And a stripped to the waist muscleman with a tattoo instead of Pointy Hat Guy.

Misfit Look through the other covers and you may find him. Speaking of which, whilst looking at the other editions for the book I found this:

message 5: by Jane (new)

Jane You know, those scanned reprints can come in pretty handy when you want an obscure literary or nonfic work, but they're usually so badly done.

And the copyright situation is HIGHLY iffy here. A few seconds on Wikipedia (O Temple Of More Or Less Accurate Information) informs me that the first Angélique was published in 1956, therefore Nabu Press is a) lying and b) probably in violation. Nice scandal-digging!

Misfit Did you notice the page count? Like 36 pages or something like that? Something is definitely rotten in Denmark and the *publisher* doesn't seem to have a website or catalog to browse. I can't find any other editions of the Angelique books listed anywhere, but I did see this one on other book sites like Alibrus and Abe. One of the listings noted it was a print on demand.

I might have to send this off to the sleuths at Smart Bithces or Dear Author and see what they can sniff out.

Anyone have any idea how to contact the author?

message 7: by Jane (new)

Jane Are you going to tell Amazon?

message 8: by Jane (new)

Jane I would imagine that the author would be very hard to contact. You have to look at the Wikipedia entry for her - there are untranslated books!!!

message 10: by Claire (new)

Claire I don't think you will like the cats in this book (if my memory serves me right), I have read a few of these historical fiction harem books in my time and they do merge in the memory.

Misfit Jane wrote: "Are you going to tell Amazon?"

From what I've read of these recent plagiarism kerfuffles, Amazon will only listen to a complaint of this nature from the offended party. This is an interesting twist here.

Misfit Claire wrote: "I don't think you will like the cats in this book (if my memory serves me right), I have read a few of these historical fiction harem books in my time and they do merge in the memory."

Keeping my fingers crossed it's the wrong book.

message 13: by Karla (last edited Feb 25, 2012 05:23PM) (new)

Karla In my search to see if there were any Angelique ebooks, I came across this file of 36 pages. It's a partial scan of the first chapter. Just drops off. So Nabu Press is trawling file storage sites for their titles, now?

Semi off-topic: plenty of scans out there of Angelique series in Portuguese and Dutch, though. Just not English.

Misfit Thanks Karla, that is likely what's going on. I would be one ticked off customer if I paid $20 or whatever for the first few chapters of a book.

message 15: by Jane (new)

Jane They have 600,000 titles on Amazon...that's impressive scamming.

Misfit I wonder how many they actually sell. I think I might throw this out at the Top Reviewers forum there. The old-timey Amazon folks might just love to do some digging.

message 17: by CLM (new)

CLM Maybe if dressed for a colder climate she would not feel so much like a work of art being inspected?

Misfit CLM wrote: "Maybe if dressed for a colder climate she would not feel so much like a work of art being inspected?"

She sure manages to have wardrobe malfunctions on a regular occasion :)

message 19: by Claire (new)

Claire During the seventies we in the uk had the Kenny Evert Show where Kenny Evert dressed up as various characters with catch phrases.One of these was an movie starlet of questionable taste whose catch phrase was "and then all my clothes fall off' that has always reminded me of Angelique.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Are you doing them all Misfit?

Misfit Eventually, but I'm taking a break with Angelique in Love. It finishes on a HEA note so I'm not dying to jump into the the next round.