Sarah's Reviews > A Reliable Wife

Mar 25, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: adult-fiction, historical, suspense
Read in April, 2009

I waited two days from the time I finished this to update my review. In all seriousness, I could not decide between three and four. I couldn't figure out if I loved it or liked it.

There were certain parts that I thought warranted five stars, but others that I simply didn't care for. The opening scene of Ralph Truitt waiting for the train, with the whispering town all around him was so evocative, desperate, and beautiful. The parts in St. Louis after Catherine Land found Truitt's son dragged on for me. But then after she got back, the storyline began to soar again.

I don't know: I think it was the son that ruined everything for me. I know he was supposed to be with fault and unlikeable, but I really just didn't see him as a fleshed out character. He was this caricature of what a lost, bitter son was supposed to be...and he was boring because of this.

Had Goolrick focused less on him, there would have been less action, yes. But the development and evolution of Truitt and Land's relationship held enough tension and suspense in and of itself that it could have been its own book without these other distractions.

So I guess in the end I say two stars whenever the son's around, and five for the rest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Reliable Wife.

07/04/2016 marked as: read