Laurie's Reviews > The Road

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Aug 28, 2015

it was ok
bookshelves: the-end-is-near, everyday-is-like-sunday, fiction, walks
Read in April, 2009 , read count: 1

I really thought I would love this, but not at all. In between all of the utter despair, heartbreak, & horror was a lot of boring, coma-inducing repetition. Reading this aloud to my husband, I had to use different voices to distinguish between father & son because of the sentence echoing & hundreds of "okay." "okay." conversations. I'm not against using voices (I do love me a good Cockney accent), it just was not interesting enough. I realize they were on a journey and it's very realistic in that respect: walk, camp, wake up, walk, eat, "okay", camp. It doesn't make for good reading though.

Oh, and I thought early on McCarthy was making up a bunch of words. I guess it would help to have a degree in theology or something. I did like the ending though and not just because I could move on.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road.

04/27/2009 page 173

Sarah I super hated this book.

Laurie Sarah wrote: "I super hated this book."

I've wanted to read this for a long time and when I saw your 1 star rating, I was like "Uh, what?" :)

What were your gripes? Did you even bother to finish it?

Sarah Laurie wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I super hated this book."

What were your gripes? Did you even bother to finis..."

Oh, yes. I used to ALWAYS finish books. I just hated the bleakness and everything. I can't believe it was an Oprah book, for God's sake.

Laurie Ha!