Bill's Reviews > A Shortcut Through Time: The Path to the Quantum Computer

A Shortcut Through Time by George Johnson

Mar 25, 09

bookshelves: misc

Going into this book I wasn't entirely sure what to expect. I didn't know much of anything about Quantum computing or quantum physics for that matter and I was concerned that such a thin book might not do the subject justice. It turns out my concerns were misplaced.

This book takes a pretty difficult subject and somehow converts into language almost anyone can understand. It was really pretty amazing. I won't claim that I could totally grasp everything it laid out. In fact I just took a leap of faith a couple of times and assumed the author wasn't pulling my leg just so I could move forward. Some of this stuff just boggles my mind.

I don't know if I'll ever see a working Quantum Computer in my life time but if they actually figure out how to get the technology working it will be amazing and I'll be even more glad I read this book. It is a great introduction to the topic and the author, George Johnson (the NY Times science editor) does a commendable job of making a difficult subject digestable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Shortcut Through Time.