☯Bettie☯'s Reviews > The Queen of Spades

The Queen of Spades by Alexander Pushkin

Mar 06, 14

bookshelves: published-1833, classic, re-read, shortstory-shortstories-novellas, slavic, france
Read in October, 2009

** spoiler alert **

Dear M with Pushkin, Spring 2007

Sourin
Hermann ("Hermann is a German")
Tomsky
Countess Anna Fedorova (Tomsky's grandmother)
Lizaveta Ivanovna

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen of Spades.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grace (new)

Grace Tjan I saw that statue in St. Petersburg in 1994! I wish I had read more Russian literature then. I could have appreciated Russia more.

Is that a friend of yours, Bettie?

message 2: by ☯Bettie☯ (last edited Oct 06, 2009 09:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

☯Bettie☯ Sandybanks wrote: "I saw that statue in St. Petersburg in 1994! I wish I had read more Russian literature then. I could have appreciated Russia more.

Is that a friend of yours, Bettie?"

That's my Viking, Sandybanks. Mikael is my husband AND my best friend and we were there to celebrate our birthdays.

;O)

ETA - here's me at the same spot:

message 3: by Grace (new)

Grace Tjan Nice picture! St. Petersburg is not that far from Stockholm, isn't it? A perfect place for a birthday getaway. In 1994 I went from Stockholm to Helsinki and then took a bus to St. Petersburg. But Russia must be a very different place now.

☯Bettie☯ Sandybanks wrote: "Nice picture! St. Petersburg is not that far from Stockholm, isn't it? A perfect place for a birthday getaway. In 1994 I went from Stockholm to Helsinki and then took a bus to St. Petersburg. But R..."

We are on an island off the west coast of Sweden - an hours drive south of the Norwegian border so it takes us a day just to drive to Stockholm. The thing we noticed most about St Petersburg is the car fumes. It's only been relatively recent that anyone and everyone can own their own transport - so they do - and there cannot be a law in use against the fuel used to drive these wrecks for the emissions where sick making.

Helsinki is on my list, I have only been to Artic Circle Finland - I took my mother to sit on Tompte's(santa) lap.

message 5: by Grace (new)

Grace Tjan They were only a few cars in St. Petersburg in 1994, so we didn't have a problem with the pollution. The streets were full of potholes. What impressed me then was how well preserved the old parts of the city was. Russia had just recently ditched communism and there had not been any modern developments yet. It must be very different now.

The Hermitage and the Winter Palace were amazing. I also went to the Peter & Paul Fortress and saw a ballet at the Kirov.

I wish I had read War & Peace and other Russian novels then; the visit would have been so much more meaningful!

That is so cool that you've met Santa in Lappland!