Sally's Reviews > The Backyard Homestead: Produce All the Food You Need on Just a Quarter Acre!

The Backyard Homestead by Carleen Madigan

Apr 29, 09

bookshelves: gardening, natural-living
Read in April, 2009

I'm ashamed to admit it, but graphic design, pretty colors, attention to fonts (type and size), nice line drawings, and boxed quotes in the margins made me eat this book right up.

Funny thing is, the content is not much better than that of Deliberate Life, but I gave it 2 more stars....

Things I learned in this book:

I can get my Brussels sprouts to get bigger by picking the leaves off the plant once the sprouts have developed. *THAT'S* how they do it....

It's too bad I don't drink beer, because making home brew sounds like a lot of fun.

Muscovies are known as "quackless" ducks because they are relatively quiet.

There's tons of information on eggs - determining freshness, how their quality changes with the age of the hen and in relation to molting. And you can *freeze* eggs by cracking, slightly scrambling, mixing in either salt or sugar, and freezing individually. Also, Sex Link breeds of chicken are called that because they are certain hybrids whose chicks can be sexed (you can tell the gender) as chicks by either feather color or some other feature.

I never thought I could actually grow wheat or rye in my backyard, but I could if I wanted.

Landscaping with edibles (fruits, berries, etc) is called "luscious landscaping." Makes you wanna go plant something right now, doesn't it?

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Backyard Homestead.