Rachel's Reviews > Deathwish

Deathwish by Rob Thurman

Mar 25, 09

bookshelves: horror, supernatural, fiction
Read in March, 2009

Not five stars because it's not for everyone -- the angst and vivid archetypes make it seem potentially more juvenile than other novels. But the main characters really resonate for me, the solution to their problem, though inevitable, was daring and somewhat satisfying, and reading the first chapters written from Nik's point of view was much better than I expected. A lot of authors ruin characters by changing to their point of view -- Nik's read like Thurman wrote the chapter from Cal's point of view first, and then rewrote it for Nik without changing anything but the thoughts and perspective of the character. It gives Nik depth and makes him a much less remote character, without destroying the archetype that he's based on. Overall, this may be one of my all-time favorite "read when you're depressed" books, and I totally loved it.

(For those who need plot and stuff, the last book ended with the Auphe reappearing and homing in on Nik and Cal. That apparently wasn't enough plot for this book, so while the Auphe are trying to kill Nik and reveal more nefarious plans for Cal, Promise's daughter (!) appears, trailing a killer from whom she's stolen something irreplaceable, and Robin is sinking into depression after the events in the previous book. It's fascinating that scary as the Auphe are, they're not the real threat in this novel.)
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deathwish.

Trip Their solution was one that I often wish characters would employ, so I was very glad to see it actually done. Perhaps I should eat Rob Thurman's brain.

Rachel But then she wouldn't be able to write any more novels!! Besides, you've got enough talent already. :) I'd rather have both of you writing....

Trip Nah, lots of novels get written without brains. We just don't read them. Anyway, it would grow back! Eventually! Almost the same!

message 4: by JK (new) - rated it 5 stars

JK Please mark your spoilers in your review next time.

Rachel Jamie wrote: "Please mark your spoilers in your review next time."

Whoops! Sure -- sorry.

message 6: by JK (new) - rated it 5 stars

JK No need to apologize, it wasn't that big of a spoiler. The first appearance of Cherish would have had a bigger impact, but it's really nothing too big.

Having just finished this book, I can say this is definitely one of my favorite series. I don't know how Thurman has done it, but she's made a cast of characters that I care about a heck of a lot.