Melissa's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Nov 20, 14

bookshelves: young-adults-these-days, apocalyptastic, ah-deadly, ladies-writin
Read from November 24 to 28, 2012

Original 2009 review: 3 stars The Running Man for teens. I was a little disappointed in the end, since I went into it not knowing that it was Book 1. Oh well. The wait for Book 2 begins. Although I'm not sure what the Book of it could be, I just want a little closure between Katniss & Peeta.

2012 re-reading reviewThis gets more stars on the re-read. At the time I originally read this, I hadn't read enough YA fiction to realize that a story like this, where every plot thread fits together well, where the love triangle is subdued and not thrown in your face with a lot of torn pining & debating, where the characters are subtle & not constantly telling you how Precocious! or Independent! or Quirky! or Different! they are with every word they say, where there's enough gross, compelling dystopia to keep you turning pages - well, a story like this doesn't come along very often. We've finally gotten around to watching the movie, which inspired the re-read (and my lucky husband just read it for the first time). I'm a tad ashamed to admit that when one major plot point that I'd forgotten about was revealed in the movie, it made me angry; sadly, I was rooting for a denouement that was so cliched it kind of made me wince. I like how Collins does it better than my version. On to Catching Fire!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Emily im glad you threw another star its way i thought 3 was a little harsh, do i think it deserves 5? no but im glad you reassessed

Melissa Emily wrote: "im glad you threw another star its way i thought 3 was a little harsh, do i think it deserves 5? no but im glad you reassessed"

Yeah, I was an idiot back then :) Much better than I remember.

message 3: by Emily (last edited Nov 28, 2012 02:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emily no no you are simply a discerning reader, you were simply comparing it to tana french and thats just apparently not fair... someday i will know your watermark of high quality and then i shall rue the day as well as cherish it

Melissa Emily wrote: "no no you are simply a discerning reader, you were simply comparing it to tana french and thats just apparently not fair... someday i will know your watermark of high quality and then i shall rue t..."

Sadly, I didn't even know who Tana French was in 2009. I do like the sound of a watermark of high quality, though! Sadly, Bill is not liking the second book as much as the first. I wonder if I'll have that trouble too?

Emily i didnt love the second one, it was weird it dealt mostly with like the PTSD and well alot of other stuff i forgot but i liked the third quite a bit i think

Melissa Emily wrote: "i didnt love the second one, it was weird it dealt mostly with like the PTSD and well alot of other stuff i forgot but i liked the third quite a bit i think"

Yeah, I think I really didn't like the games in the second. I'm tying to convince him to keep at it! According to goodreads, I quite liked the 3rd but I honestly don't remember too much of it for some reason.

Emily apparently the second one is the only one i wrote a review for and i liked it... all of em got 4 stars from me so

According to this website, my reviewing average is 3.10. Discerning reader indeed! That seems kind of harsh of me.

Emily man i feel like a floozy with an average of 3.42,... the books i read really arent that good! :D i am NOT a discerning reader

Melissa Emily wrote: "man i feel like a floozy with an average of 3.42,... the books i read really arent that good! :D i am NOT a discerning reader"

Ha ha, you floozy! :) You've really got to work on that watermark of high quality!

Emily :P