stephanie's Reviews > The Suicide Index: Putting My Father's Death in Order

Mar 25, 09

bookshelves: 2009, absolutely-must-read, crazypeoplememoirs, memoirs, suicide
Recommended for: everyone.
Read in March, 2009

oh, if i could give one book to people to considering suicide, this might be it. i would also give it to anyone considering writing a memoir. so. beautiful.

so much of this is brilliant - from the questions of how even to write the book, to the difference between a biographer and a memoirist, to the emotions on every page.

set up as an index, literally, the story can't stay chronological. you know her father died, and how, but then she leads us through the painful agony of surviving a suicide, especially one that left no note (though it's clear a note probably wouldn't have made things much better).

everyone is affected, and it's so hard to see that - that while you think you might be doing people a favor, or that it's simply too hard, or whatever - it's so selfish. i wish i still had the book (got it from the library first, now have it ordered for my personal collection), because there were some quotes that were just dead on. painful and yet so true.

i highly, highly recommend this book that tries to work through death while working through life. astonishing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Suicide Index.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lucy (new)

Lucy I heard her read from this book during the National Book Award readings, and I was captivated. I don't usually read a lot of memoir, but this book was just so raw and honest it stayed in my mind.