Marian's Reviews > Beyond the Pale

204807
Apr 08, 09

bookshelves: 2009, readit
Read in April, 2009

Either I've started BtP before or there's another book out there with a vaguely similar plot. With vampires, really, you can never tell.

That said, there's a lot going for BtP. The idea is interesting: After 9/11, the government decides to secretly recruit vampires. And by recruit, I mean make them choose between serving their country or dying. Immediately. Daphne falls for the wrong guys, has spent her considerably long life doing nothing of great importance, and is finally given a chance to do something, anything. Her mother is sneakier than she initially appears and the vampire angle itself is fairly unusual.

Certain phrases fall flat and sound more than a bit hokey, certain characters appear flat and stereotypical, and really, I've yet to meet many a straight guy who can say, perfectly seriously, "Girlfriend..." without at least cracking up afterward. Most of the time the characters never sound... real, and that's essential no matter what genre you're writing for.

Also, I'm still not sure what to make of the wink-wink-nudge mention of Louis and Lestat. But that might thrill some people.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond the Pale.