Cynthia's Reviews > The Game

The Game by Laurie R. King

Mar 30, 2009

bookshelves: english-mysteries, sherlock-holmes-et-al
Read in March, 2009

I tried to read this when it first came out and for some reason it just didn't click but this time I tore right through it. The plot is very good, not brilliant but certainly moves the story along at a nice clip. It's the descriptions of India that are extraordinary, mouthwatering even (mmm, the food: I am totally having puri, chapatis and curry this week); mostly the imagery is delicious, but when she wants to gross you out, the author is also vurrry good at that. Laurie King is very insightful. For instance, she describes one of those epic Indian feasts you see in movies like Indiana Jones, but she makes it clear that the host of this particular feast is using all this food (much of it disgusting) to put himself subtly in a position of power over his Western guests. It's fascinating passive-aggressive behavior; and it seems so obvious once she points it out. Also, as in all the books in this series, she creates a perfect wife for Sherlock Holmes — and I'm not normally enthusiastic about "fan fiction," even at high literary levels. King is the only author who really writes enjoyable post-Conan Doyle stories with Holmes. And his young bride, in this series, has so many interesting contrary views to those of her husband; she is his conscience, his feminine side, without being a bore about it. This is a totally great book. I don't know how men would like it, but as a female fan of Holmes, I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Game.