A.K.'s Reviews > Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls

Reviving Ophelia by Mary Pipher

Mar 25, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: non-fic

Makes a valid point or two but I remember being insulted by this as an adolescent girl. Specifically at the point when Pipher holds up a daddy-knows-best fundie family as raising a totally well-adjusted teenager. I'd rather be a maladjusted junkie slut than live in the midwest with my nice, cool, cryptofascist hard-on for jeezy parents, thanks. This should be on the "feminism, question mark" shelf.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reviving Ophelia.

Tiemu Her evidence of maladjusted junkie sluts shows they tend to be unhappier than the ones with a stable families. Pipher recommend a middle-way between the extremes of authoritarianism and abject laxity.

message 2: by A.K. (new) - rated it 1 star

A.K. Tiemu wrote: "Her evidence of maladjusted junkie sluts shows they tend to be unhappier than the ones with a stable families. Pipher recommend a middle-way between the extremes of authoritarianism and abject laxity."

Teen me and 09 me would have hated this, but I feel if I read this again my review and thoughts would be approaching some sort of maturity. Thank you therapy and years of being one of those firm but warm child care providers.