Robin's Reviews > World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

World War Z by Max Brooks

Apr 13, 09

Read in April, 2009, read count: 1

Finished reading it and enjoyed it. Will write a full review later but some highlights:

Good:
1 - Totally didn't expect to like a "zombie" book but this author had a great take on that genre.
2 - I appreciated the detail and research that went into presenting this book from many different cultural and diverse locations
3 - Interesting style to present the "story" as a series of interviews - not an easy medium to do well but I liked the way this occured.

Bad:
A few things rung "untrue" for me - like the guy during an exodus carrying a PC desktop monitor. A small nit to be sure but really took me to that place of "unbelievability"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World War Z.

03/25/2009 page 18
5.26% "So I'm not into Zombies but this book came highly recommended by my husband and daughter." 2 comments
04/01/2009 page 40
11.7% "Still really enjoying this"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stephen I agree with Ami. I think it's also a candid look at the culture we have become in which we put so much value on meaningless "things" like the story's use of the PC monitor. That PC monitor will do absolutely nothing for him or his family, is of no value now, and will only slow him down, yet he carries it anyway.

Colette Guerin I totally agree with your first 3 points but I'm a bit confused about even looking for believability in a zombie story. A book like "The Shining" gives you a believability factor because their is always the madness factor there. Stephen makes a good point with the culture thing.

Hermione I can believe a man would carry a desk top because people are completely stupid. The bit that is still annoying me is the Chinese submarine clearly states that they are resting on the ocean floor at nearly hull crushing depth...yet there were zombies outside banging on the outside trying to get in. Now I think even dead the human body would be squashed at those depths. He screwed up there.