Jen's Reviews > The Shadow of the Wind

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Apr 27, 09

bookshelves: 2009
Recommended to Jen by: TNBBC April Read
Recommended for: people who like creepy mysteries
Read in April, 2009, read count: 1

This book opens with a visit to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, a place that anyone who is on goodreads would LOVE to visit. Daniel, then a young boy who grows up during the story, finds a book called the Shadow of the Wind by Julian Carax. Reading the book makes him want to read more by the author and catalyzes a journey to find Julian which leads him down a path of danger and intrigue. First the downsides of the novel. There is a character who uses horrific language, though he is the main bad buy, several several uses of the F bomb are present. There are several explicit sexual situations and scenes. And as you progress through the novel the tone gets darker and descriptions of murders take place, sparing little of the manner in which it occurred. I will not spoil any of the mystery other than to say that Daniel finds his life starting to live a strange parallel to that of Julian's. I will admit that several times through the story my ideas about who the characters would actually end up being changed and it wasn't until just before the final revelation that I started picking up on the actual identities of some of the characters. I personally was a little creeped out and I sit here having just finished it at 3am unable to sleep and jumping at shadows. Fair warning if you've read this review and go to read the book, it might give you the willies. But then I'm also a lightweight to creep and gore so who knows, you decide.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow of the Wind.