Laura Lynch's Reviews > The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

Jan 11, 13

Read in January, 2013

“The Power of Habit” is an interesting study of habits and human behavior. The book analyzes addictions, marketing and social behavior drawing from a wide range of examples, experiences and science.

I learned that one of the keys to breaking “bad” habits and replacing them with something better is understanding the cues, actions and desired responses of behavior. Self analysis is an important step in determining why we do things and learning how to pick and establish good habits that still meet the desired end results.

The book talks about how stores, for example Target, uses statistics to figure out what their customers are buying and customize solicitations for individuals. Apparently, their analyses are accurate enough to predict when a woman is pregnant. Then, flyers with infant items are sent to the expectant mom with the idea that if she comes to the store for baby stuff she will pick up other products in Target and thus become a regular customer. This was a cool yet creepy concept.

“The Power of Habit” had plenty of antidotes and case studies to demonstrate how and why people act the way they do. This information along with self knowledge should help the reader to change and improve habits.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of Habit.