shartyrant's Reviews > Magic Strikes

F_50x66
Mar 25, 09

bookshelves: futuristic-alternate-earth, urban-fantasy
Read in March, 2009

I won't go through a summary of what it is about as others probably have or you can look at the book description which sums it up best. Sorry if this comes across a bit disjointed. Having headaches again from the weather.

I loved this book. I have to say this is one of those rare series where the author keeps getting better. The character grows which is also a big thing with me. I hate reading series where the lead doesn't learn from his/her mistakes or grow in personality. Kate is definitely growing. Painfully at times. She is definitely not a Mary Sue. She messes up at times. She gets hurt (a lot) phsycially and sometimes mentally/spirtually. But she keeps trying.

This book also finally reveals some of the mystery behind Kate's past and what her original agenda is and why her blood must be burned. Something I was hoping they would address, but wouldn't leave you with nothing else to focus on. The writers definitely give you more even after revealing that past. If anything, it will up the danger level and the suspense as sometimes the books reads as if Kate is up against a deadline. Will she surive? Will she fail? Or will it all be for naught?

I like a heroine who actually walks the "talk" of being a tough mercenary who also has a smart mouth that she is the first to admit she uses to hide how scared she is. Or how much she knows she is in trouble. And boy, is she in trouble in this one...on many levels.

This is the third book in this urban fantasy series. I would recommend reading the previous books in the series simply because it will add layers to the subplots and overall storyarcs. Plus, it explain how characters met, died ect. Always a good thing to know. But, if you haven't read the previous books, you could still read this story and enjoy it in my opinion.

Magic Strikes is probably the "lightest" book in the series. It has the dark moments just like the previous books, but it is lightened up by the humor and new companionships and relationships between various characters (not just romantical for all of them either, we are talking friendship, family, pack, ....even adversarial. Cool, no?

This book also has more of a romantical element than the previous novel. No, not enough to be classified as paranormal romance though. And not even just with the lead. It doesn't dominate the story, but it definitely adds to it. Greatly interwoven through the story to add to it instead of detracting. Things do NOT go where you are expecting with supporing characters and you have some enjoyable witty banter between various characters. Also, there is plenty of new creatures and races to see and learn about. Not just the typical weres (though they are definitely there) and vampires (though Andrews' definitely have the most originaly, creepy take on it I have ever seen).

I highly recommend giving this series a whirl. Be warned, the first book starts off a bit rough on the first few chapters, but stick with it as you will be rewarded. And then the next book blows it away.

Only problem I have with this book is the fact I didn't want it to end. Now I have to wait for the next installment (which I think the authors said it will be 5 in the series total).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Strikes.