Elyssa's Reviews > Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll

Apr 10, 09

Read in April, 2009

This one is really wierd, and the only reason I am reading it is that our recital this year is going to be Alice in Wonderland. I am not going to read Through the looking Glass. This just really isn't my genera.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass.

Nici I agree, this book was rather wierd. At most points I didn't like it, but sometimes it was so wierdly interesting I had to keep reading. I think the author style wasn't that good, and that's why we had trouble reading it.

Alice The only reason it's weird is cause it's based on Lewis carrols' nightmare.... Lol

message 3: by Cat (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cat I don't believe it was based on a nightmare of his, a young girl of a professor or boss of Carroll's inspired the story and I'm guessing nights of drug induced writing produced what people today call a masterpiece, much to my dismay. I believe quite the opposite; someone with half of the education of Carroll could have written a better plot line (since there was obviously not one in the first place). This story was just a pile of steaming nonsense, the first of its kind.

Irish Sweetheart Alice in Wonderland is a masterpiece and a classic. It's purpose was simply to be entertainment for two young ladies of the author's acquaintance. The beauty of the work is its nonsense which 'LC' loved and his readers of all ages have thrilled to hear. Lewis had a vivid imagination and employed its full powers in his writing. Any child often entertains themselves by using their imagination. When reading 'LC's works, read it with the openness of a child's imaginations. Don't seek a solid story line as you would for an adult book. If you prefer a book with a solid plot and purpose, then read something else. This will not fulfill that sort of purpose since it was not designed to be that. Simply enjoy it for its simplistic, child-like nonsense.