All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > A Clockwork Heart

Aug 26, 2013

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed-by-kristina, earc

Review Courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

A CLOCKWORK HEART was a decent second book in the Chronicles of Light and Shadow with interesting plot developments and huge twists. I like the very creepy concept of zombies being made with clockwork hearts and the shadow world in which Elle can connect with as the Oracle, though it wasn’t explored or explained very much leaving me a little confused. A CLOCKWORK HEART felt like a mystery investigation with little action and while I love a good steadily paced mystery this one dragged a bit too much in parts.

Unlike A CONSPIRACY OF ALCHEMISTS, Elle is aware and accepting of the supernatural existing. What was odd was her lack of interest in actually figuring out more about her powers especially considering she comes off as a pretty adventurous character willing to learn new things. Where Elle came off as spunky and resourceful, Marsh appeared unstable and even weak which is a sharp contrast to the Marsh in A CONSPIRACY OF ALCHEMISTS. Their relationship is not going well at the start of the A CLOCKWORK HEART and while a bit of relationship drama makes for an interesting story it came off as more childish bickering that merely served to advance the plot.

Though I have some issues with the pacing and characterization I enjoyed the overall mystery and take on zombie creation. Hopefully the shadow world and Elle’s Oracle powers will be explored more as Chronicles of Light and Shadow continues. The ending of A CLOCKWORK HEART is intriguing and leaves open a lot of opportunities for some big changes in Elle’s life in SKY PIRATES out June 3, 2013 by Del Rey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Clockwork Heart.

05/15/2013 marked as: received-for-review