Christine's Reviews > Everything but the Squeal: Eating the Whole Hog in Northern Spain

Everything but the Squeal by John Barlow

Apr 03, 09

bookshelves: read-cooking
Read in April, 2009

First I must apologize to Robyn - the author pretty much describes the serious business of raising and eating pigs in all sorts of ways - at home, restaurants, festivals, etc. Its quite the book for carnivores or anyone who appreciates bacon or pancetta. And its another entry into the "What I did last year" genre. The author is a Brit living with his Spanish wife in the Galicia-region of Spain. Apparently the Galician's are crazy for pigs and let very little go to waste (everything but the squeal!). I liked the book more for learning about a region of Spain with a long history attached to its food. His writing style is also a bit like Bill Bryson's so there are some very funny moments (his wife is also vegetarian which is pretty much unheard of in this part of Spain). But at times if felt like I too was being dragged along on every excursion to far flung mountain "towns" (more pigs than people) to eat some odd pig pieces parts.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything but the Squeal.

message 1: by Robyn (new)

Robyn Hmmm. I might skip the pork book. Let me know when you find something on hummus. :)