Julie Davis's Reviews > Day Watch

Day Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko

Apr 09, 14

Read in February, 2013

Continuing my rereading of the series and it is proving a satisfying experience, which is always the test of a good book for me. The first time through one is taken up in the excitement of the storyline unfolding. The second time around when one is more relaxed and looking around the neighborhood (so to speak) is when a story shows staying power or the lack thereof.

My original review is below.

================
Loneliness, dejection, the contempt or pity of people around you--these are unpleasant feelings. But they are precisely the things that produce genuine Dark Ones.
As with the previous book in the series, The Night Watch, this is comprised of three stories. Unlike the previous book, this is told from the Dark Ones' point of view and by three different protagonists. Intriguingly, it begins with statements opposite to those which open Night Watch. We are told that this text is not approved because it is deleterious to the cause of Light (signed the Night Watch) and deleterious to the cause of Dark (signed the Day Watch).

The first story is told from a Dark witch's point of view as she is sent to recover from a difficult assignment. It was definitely dark and almost kept me from continuing. It's funny because it isn't as if the story contained anything that I haven't encountered in other books and it definitely isn't because it is told from the dark point of view. There was just something about it that made me not want to read it, which is a tribute to the author's ability to convey atmosphere in his storytelling.

I thoroughly enjoyed the second story which was a mystery within a mystery as a man riding a train realizes he has amnesia ... and is an Other. The third story brought the other two together in a climactic trial by The Inquisition.

As in Night Watch, each story examined a facet of Dark or Light. I was especially interested in the third story where most of it is shown from the point of view of Edgar, a Dark Other, or Anton, our familiar Light Other from the first book. Several times each was judging the other for the very same thing while thinking, "Just like a Light/Dark Other..." In this story we also hear about how Inquisitors see things and it was an interesting contrast to the Others.

Day Watch uses these engrossing stories to examine good, evil, love, and sacrifice, continuing the themes found in Night Watch. As such it gave me pause while I thought about the author's representation of the very thin line that separates good from evil, and true love from a self-serving pretense of love.

It was quite good overall, although it was not quite as good as Night Watch. Definitely recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Day Watch.

02/11 page 160
02/14 page 222
47.0% "The second story is definitely intriguing as we travel with a man suffering from amnesia who discovers his powers as a Dark Other as he goes."
02/16 page 300
64.0% "Ready for the 3rd story."
04/04 marked as: currently-reading
04/07
70.0% "I'd forgotten that this is the book where you suddenly begin really questioning whether the Light Others are truly as good as they claim. Yes, their intentions are light, but is their manipulation of society truly disinterested? No, of course not. And so their intentions come into question also..."
04/09 marked as: read