Christopher's Reviews > Gardens of the Moon

Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

M_50x66
Mar 24, 09

Recommended for: high fantasy fans

I have to actively stop myself from giving it one star. It's not that it is not immaculately written, or that it is all consistent and blah blah blah but the content is so blah. In the goodreads description, it uses the word "realistic" and I could almost die laughing at that concept. Every character, and there are LOTS, is the very bestest baddest awesomeest at whatever they do. Normal mages have one warren? I have nine. Did I mention there is also a dude that has a sword that banishes you to an alternate reality where you pull a giant wheeled things on chains for eternity instead of dying. Also, he kills gods and have a harem of dragon b*tches to do his dirty work. Seriously. Even the minor, unpowerful characters are either in thrall to gods or are the greatest assassin who ever lived or blah blah blah blah.

Things only exist in interest in a point of paralell. Maybe I don't want to only read about the awesomeest crew. That's precisely why Tolkien is so good. It is a book about fictional mythological characters that feel like normal people, including some funny assumptions about how the world works. Heck, even resurrected Gandalf feels more like a real person than over 90% of the characters in this series.

It is well written, I just don't care.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gardens of the Moon.