Carl's Reviews > An Experiment in Criticism

An Experiment in Criticism by C.S. Lewis

Aug 23, 07

bookshelves: literarytheory
Recommended for: Fans of Lewis and those interested in something different in lit-crit
Read in January, 2004

As far as literary criticism goes, this is a bit old and out of date, but I think I remember being impressed with many bits of this when I read it-- which was a while back, so I don't remember it all that well. I think there might have been a stronger focus on the reader, rather than the author's biography, etc, which was impressive to me at the time as it was coming so long before the heyday of reception theory and reader-response theory. In any case, it was pleasant to read something by Lewis that was more academic, rather than fiction or apologetics-- though I like those as well. Lewis was always a bit closer to the lit-crit side of things than Tolkien (who was more of a "pure" philologist), but even he wouldn't have put himself in the center of the lit-crit world, considering that he was primarily concerned with Medieval, Classical, and Renaissance literature. Still, this is an interesting take on literature by a major author and academic, and was an enjoyable read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Experiment in Criticism.