Kati's Reviews > Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall

Apr 05, 09

liked it
bookshelves: 2009, in-english, stargate, sci-fi
Read in April, 2009

** spoiler alert ** It's really hard for me to somehow rate this book. You see, on the one hand, it was really good - the plot was quite intriguing and well plotted - on the other hand, quite often I asked myself if the author had even seen SGA. Why? Well...

a) He got some of the most basic SG "hard facts" wrong - according to him, the 'gate wormhole goes both ways!
b) The characterization. Oh, boy. Teyla kept snapping/barking/snarling. Rodney either whined or he was painfully meek, his acerbic - and intelligent - humor was completely absent etc. etc.
c) The author moved the plot forward through completely illogical decisions on the part of the main characters. Example? Carter forced Sheppard to take Keller, an untrained doctor who refused to even accept a gun, with his team - on a recon mission to a possibly hostile planet! When Teyla and Ronon were kidnapped in a space ship, Sheppard and the Marines went searching for them - on foot!
d) The author's style... If I hear "the Athosian woman" or "the warrior woman" or "the P-90 submachine gun" or "the submachine gun" again, I will scream!

I think that Swallow would benefit from either having a co-author or a better editor.

To sum it up? My least favorite SGA book so far. I won't be re-reading it any time soon, that's for sure.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stargate Atlantis.

03/30/2009 page 25
03/30/2009 page 30
9.87% "If Keller gets kidnapped again, I will personally kick the author in the nuts."
03/30/2009 page 70
23.03% "OMG, did Swallow actually see Atlantis? This is so OOC that I can't even believe it."
04/03/2009 page 143
47.04% "Okay, they basically gave away the plot twist of Angelus. Good work, really."
04/04/2009 page 170
55.92% "The plot is actually really good."
show 3 hidden updates…